USA Slingshot Forum  

Go Back   USA Slingshot Forum > Shooting Techniques

Old 01-22-2010, 11:13 PM

Default Flat bands VS Tube bands

Is there an advantage to one over the other?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:11 PM

Before we use flat bands in China. now 99% of players use tube bands. flat bands are used for short distance only.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:33 PM

Is one stronger/more powerful than the other? I'm just using my slings for target shooting and I have a Barnett Cobra and I have a Saunders WRP OtW in the mail.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenscoot View Post
Is one stronger/more powerful than the other? I'm just using my slings for target shooting and I have a Barnett Cobra and I have a Saunders WRP OtW in the mail.
Yes, tube bands are more powerfull and stronger than flat bands.
And tube bands we have many options. 2040, 1745, 2050 etc. 20-40 means the inner and external diameters of tube.
at beginning, i use 4 pieces of 1745, with 8 mm BB. After 2 months practice i use 8 pieces of 2040 tube which is more powerful.
the slingshot with 8 p of 2040 tube, plus 10 or 11 mm BB is very popular for a good player in China.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:02 AM
Banned

Flat bands are generally faster at the same strength. Because of the molecular chaining of rubber, the thinner the rubber is, the faster it will retract after being stretched. Thus, a tube and flat band with the exact same exact thickness (wall thickness on the tube, overall thickness on the band) and width (circumference on the tube) will be roughly the same speed with no ammo. The reason that flat bands are better is because you can increase the width of the bands allowing you to use heavier shot. You cannot increase the circumference of the tubes without also increasing the wall thickness, slowing down the retraction. This is the reason that tubes are generally slower than bands with decent sized ammo. I hope I made this clear enough.

One advantage to tubes is that they tend to be sightly more durable.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:21 PM

that is why we use 8 pieces of bute bands instead of 2 flat bands.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:13 AM

I have switched to tubes only and gave away all my bands. My reasons are strictly personal for my type of shooting. With bands I continually had them twisted in the frame of my slingshot and when shooting for speed it became too much trouble. Also I have a terrible time getting life out of bands. Sometimes I would only get a few shots and they would break. Bands for me seem to exaggerate my shooting errors more than tubes. I am now able to shoot game on the run which I could never do with bands. I use Tru Mark tubes almost exclusively.
Want to solve our nations problems? 2 Chronicles 7:14
Old 01-26-2010, 03:04 PM
hawk2009

Yes I would have to agree with you my first slingshot was a Pro-Diablo but it was very big and cumbersome the tubes for the diablo did not last very long and were not that powerful so I tried Thera-band gold a very popular flatband,but that did not last very long either,I spent more time replacing the band than I did shooting the thing,so had a look around & found the Dankung site & have to say I cant fault them very small steel slingshots very small tubing but extremely powerful,And occasionally when the band does break it does not fly back at you and give you a slap.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:04 PM

Send a message via MSN to gtavares

I also did not like flatbands...but after a evening of learning how to put them in the slingshot I start to like them...

There is no doubt that flatbands are faster then tubular bands...today my favorite tubular bands are Trumark and Theraband Black...
Old 01-26-2010, 04:24 PM
hawk2009

It really is personnal preferance some like tubes and some like flatbands,Which is more powerful who cares as long as you are getting what you want out of it,Sattisfied Hawk.