PDA

View Full Version : WalMart? Why not???

Chris
09-30-2008, 02:54 AM
I have been to numerous Walmart's in Maine and New Hampshire...not one carrys Trumark products. ?? Only Marksman, that are made in China, and no where close in quality to Trumark. I wrote to Walmart corp. tonight, asking why they don't carry Trumark slingshots, that are made in the USA???:confused: I can get to a walmart, 3 in fact, in 25 min, but I have to drive an hour and 15 min south to Kittery Trading Post to pick up RR-2 bands or shot.

Jaybird
09-30-2008, 04:04 AM
Chris I don"t know how Walmart will answer You,but just about every thing Walmart sells is from China.Let us know how thay answer You. Jaybird

MBTull
09-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Why support Walmart when you can buy Trumarks direct from the factory. Better yet, support Ray Priest and his son by shopping at www.slingshotsusa.com

chief
09-30-2008, 03:04 PM
yeah,i wish a walmart or another nationwide store would carry better slingshots then the same exact 2 models in each store and same sized 2 boxes of ammo.reason for that is because of the profit ther probably making from the marksmen.they probably got a deal where they buyem real cheap.and i dont think walmart gonna reply to you,if they do.post what they said,im kind of interested in this as well.im surprised thers a store anywhere around you that has replacement bands,i have no choice but to buy them online.or get the crappy 1 replacement band walmart offers.we should have varity and choice of equipment in our sport.and at walmart,we dont get it.

MBTull
09-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Walmart is responsible for the destruction of a lot of small business. It often sells items for retail for less than a small business can buy it for wholesale. I make every effort to buy elsewhere. A lot of stores on the web are run by small businesses - Ray Priest's www.slingshotsusa.com is one example. If you have internet access, you can support small businesses by shopping online.

You also get a wide variety of products and superior customer support. Ray was kind enough to donate some WS1's for my kids archery program - try to get Walmart to even respond to such a request.

The other option is to support our sponsor, Trumark, still made in the Poeple's Republic of Boulder Colorado.

By the way, check out Ray's site. He has a lot of cool stuff, including blowguns, something that I think I will try next. He recently told me that he is going to feature more throwing knives. Try buying throwing knives and blowguns at Walmart!

shoot safe,

chief
09-30-2008, 11:38 PM
walmart would be convienent sense everybody has them,they just dont have what we want.nothing wrong with it,they sale some stuff cheap wich make lower-middle class living easier.and that thing about the small bussinesses.leave that to the CNN and NBC documenterys.no need to talk bad about a place that 98% of everybody on this forum probably shop at.i buy all my slingshot stuff from ray priest.includeing the blowgun i bought (ninja,36in) but if i need ammo,ima go to walmart.and sometimes because of the price of shipping.walmart is not a bad idea.all im saying is : walmart is not a specialty store for slingshot enthutist,its cool that if we need a slingshot or ammo THAT VERY DAY we can get it.but at the same time.if you need something different,more verity,shop online.no need to talk bad about a certin company.they all have different purposes and services.

MBTull
10-01-2008, 05:03 AM
Chris is correct, no need for politics, this site is about slingshots.

In any event, Chris - tell me about the Ninja blowgun - is it fun to shoot? How does it compare to shooting a slingshot?

Thanks

Chris
10-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Trust me, I dislike going to Walmart (for ethical reasons), however w/the price of gas, a 25 min drive is cheaper than driving more than an hour and fifteen minutes, which I currently drive to buy Trumark products. And although we try to shop other stores when possible, my wife still goes there often for household cleaning products, etc., due to the low price. There must be a few of you who do the same thing; complain about Walmart, but still end up going there to save a buck? ;)

If Walmart started selling Trumark products, it would have a postive effect on the sport of slingshot shooting, as well as bring a $$$ benifit to both Walmart and Trumark, and the sporting public as well. Think about it; Trumark would increase sales and profits, due to the LARGE number of products being sold in Walmarts all over the world. So Trumark would win w/increased sales/profits if they had a contract w/Walmart. Walmart would win, as they could put their "made in the USA" sticker on it, and be proud of selling a top quality product that has a long and stellar reputation. Walmart has a HUGE comsumer base, and if only low priced, high volume products like the Trumark S-9's, FS-1's and WS-1's were on the shelf (along w/bands and shot), they would sell like hot cakes! The sport of slingshot shooting might return to what it used to be back in the glory days of the 50's through the 80's.

Anyhow, if you think about it, it might be worth the 10 min it takes to send Walmart an E-mail like I did. The squeaky wheel gets the grease...

Of course, it is possible that Trumark doesn't want to have their produucts sold by Walmart. I'm not affiliated w/either company, I'm just a shooter and a shopper who likes to save gas, but as I see it, it would be a win/win situation for Walmart, Trumark and the public. :D

MBTull
10-01-2008, 04:25 PM
You make some good points. It certainly will not hurt to ask Walmart to carry high quality slingshots and ammo.

havok-x
10-02-2008, 09:30 PM
They carry Trumark FS-1 slingshots, RR-2 (black heavy pull) bands, and assorted Trumark Ammo at the Sports Authority stores in my area. That is the only place that you can find them around here (Minneapolis area).

I found a Trumark FSX-2000 (with stabilizer) with the red RR-T bands on it at a local Gander mountain. It was the only one they had in stock, and they have not gotten any more since...It was only $19.95 SCORE!!! I am thinking it was an accident that they have one. It was just hanging there with no shelf tag.

I have access to a number of good palces to buy slingshots, and also find that all they carry is Daisy, or Marksman product.

That brings up a different questions. It seems to me that there are different versions of some of the Trumark slingshots at different stores out there, that I do not even see on their website.

For example the FSX-2000 with the stabilizer, and the red bands, instead of the standard bands. Also at some of the Sports Authority stores they have FS-1 slingshots with a tinted clear handle so you can see the ammo...Weird.

Either these are just exclusives for the retail market, or they are old/new versions of the ones I am used to.

Frankly, I would love to have the option of getting any of the slingshots with the RR-T red bands, rather than the standards, as I change them out the minute I get them.

MBTull
10-02-2008, 10:42 PM
We have the same thing at Sports Authority in the Denver metro area, FS1's S9's heavy bands, tapered bands, tracers, steel shot. I still think the best deals are to support Ray Priest www.slingshotsusa.com or buy direct from Trumark.

chief
10-02-2008, 11:55 PM
will,im going to my local archery store (solo archery) and may take my slingshot with me into the range (if they let me) if they like what they see and say something to me.maybe i could convince them to start saleing slingshots in ther store,other than that.just buy directly from slingshots.com (trumark site) or from the awsome fella ray priest and slingshotsusa.com

havok-x
10-03-2008, 12:21 AM
will,im going to my local archery store (solo archery) and may take my slingshot with me into the range (if they let me) if they like what they see and say something to me.maybe i could convince them to start saleing slingshots in ther store,other than that.just buy directly from slingshots.com (trumark site) or from the awsome fella ray priest and slingshotsusa.com

That gives me a great idea Chief. I have been thinking about buying a foam block archery broadhead target to shoot my slingshot at. I am afraid that it will not work great, bounceback and such. One of the other board members talked about his foam target.

I am thinking of going to my local archery shop and tell them that if they let me shoot at one in their range, that I would buy one if it works well.

slingshot311
10-03-2008, 02:22 PM
I have been shooting slingshots all my life, I enjoy shooting now more than ever since I found the slingshot forum, Jacks book Slingshot Shooting (the poor mans shooting sport).And since I started making my own slingshots and experimenting with different natural forks and my custom ergo's with tube bands and flatbands. I never buy store bought slingshots anymore,I only buy bands and I started making my own flat bands and pouches. I now have about 50 + sling shots made from all kinds of wood and different materials. My 10 year old son only shoots the slingshots I made for him and he also designs his own that he has me to cut out for him and he sands them and paints them to his liking. We shoot together at least 4 to 5 times a week and sometimes more.

Make your own, order the type of band you prefer, and you will enjoy the sport of slingshot shooting even more.

I'm not kidding just ask Flatband or anyone on this forum how addicting it really is.

Slingshot311 and my son Slingshotkid

MBTull
10-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Havok-X and Chief,

Slingshots and Archery Shops

My local archery shop, Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear, in Arvada Colorado, specializes in traditional archery mostly for hunters. They sell a few slingshots. Some hunters in Colorado like to carry them as a simple way of quieting squirrels when stalking.

I am an NFAA (National Field Archery Association) level 2 instructor. My wife and I teach archery at the local parks and rec. I am also a volunteer instructor at Golden High Country Archers, a club and 3D range. I am starting to incorporate slingshots into archery instruction as the stance, grip, pull, anchor, aim and release are identical to trad. archery. The only difference is how you grip the pouch on the slingshot vs. how you hook the string on a trad. bow. We tried it once with paintballs and plywood targets, just like Chief AJ does. It was so popular we had trouble getting the kids back to their bows.

Slingshots can be shot instinctively, just like a trad bow, or you can use the top fork as a sight, just like an Olympic bow or a compound. Slingshots are easier to draw than bows and a great way to teach back tension, a critical part of good archery form. You do not need to worry about string slap with a slingshot and doe not need a tab or glove. The only protective gear you need is safety glasses. With paintballs or non-lethal ammo (Ray Priest sells them) our archery kids have a way of practicing at home, even in modern suburban neighborhoods.

Foam Broadhead Targets

I promise you that your ammo will not bounce back with one of those foam blocks for broadheads. I use mine all the time and I have never had one bounce back. Even with RRTs (target bands) 3/8 steel shot usually goes so deep that I cannot dig them out. Tracer marbles do not go as deep, but I still lose a few now and then. In fact, I often mount a piece of cardboard on the foam block to keep the steel shot from going to deep.

Maybe we can convince Ray Priest to start carrying them?

Shoot safe,

chief
10-03-2008, 03:32 PM
mbtull

thanks for all the info.

maybe ray priest should consider that.
i been thinking about buying a bow recently (im saveing up)
until then im pure slingshot.i definitly should go to the archery shop and see what they think of it.they may start carrying slingshots then. (i would recommend trumark of corse) i think most archers will accept slingshots for sure.now all i gotta do is work up the courage to go talk to them.next time i go in.i think ill ask if i can try out the foam block target.who knows,maybe they'l make a slingshot club? i know the archery place here allmost overtaken my entire town.seriously,like half of the town go to the range here to shoot ther bows.everybody have decals and logos that say "solo archery" all over ther cars.its real big in the south here,i guess all shooting is big in the south

MBTull
10-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Chief,

I think we are guilty of hijacking the thread. The original topic was Walmart.

Anyway, you should go into the archery shop and ask if they have a foam target set up to demo broadheads. Tell them what you want to do and shot them the gear before you get started. Let them know that the steel shot is likely to be buried so deep in the foam that they may not be able to dig it out. That should raise some interest.

What kind of bow are you thinking of? If you are interested in a trad. bow, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Shoot safe,

chief
10-04-2008, 07:54 PM
ill do that mbtull.and im not sure of bow.maybe a compound.my cousin is trying to get me into recurve.

don.b
10-07-2008, 01:26 AM
I'm sure most of us know who signed-on China, as a Most Favored Nation Trading partner....American factory-production jobs have taken a severe slide ever since..Well that's my two political cents. Oh, yeah, someone had a nice Victor, on flea-bay, probably went pretty cheap. I would've bid, but my 'horse', my bicycle, got ripped-off. The replacement cost is really messing my finances up.

Bugar
10-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Wal Mart=well ever time i go there and buy something i get mixed feelings, sure they made a lotta jobs, but bout everything you buy is made in another country, so I feel kinda guilty cause what i'm buying come from another country, but the building, trucks, cashier and employees are from around here, and like my puter / mine was built by a man down the street who builds puters, but all the electronics come from elsewhere, i try to do what I can to help the small folk, like the sponsors and whoever I can, It makes me feel better, but actually Wal Mart and slingshots= It's just one small item out of the millions, I just like to help the small guy, but it just can't be done all the time, Just how I feel bout things.
Bugar:D

slingmikey
01-29-2009, 07:17 PM
i used to woirk at wal-mart for threee years, it sucked, nuff said, i find that meijers carries a surprising amount of slingshots, and they seem to have at least one type from several companies as well as all kinds of ammo and bands as well, at pretty good prices too, as for me i would like to get some new slingshots, all i have is a barnett cobra thats definitely seen better days, the stabilizer broke off a long time ago, the bottom cracked off and i ditched the wristbrace after it got bent up, im tempted to go to meijers and pick up one :)