PDA

View Full Version : How long to shoot bands?

Bill Herriman
08-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Shooters have been asking me many times, when should I change my bands. Here is a set that I just got done shooting and I shot them until they broke. This set broke in an unusual way in that one band on each side started breaking at the same time. Usually a band on one side will start to break first and effects the point of impact very little (so much for band pulling a little uneven messing you up). Well back to this set when I was at about the 770 shots, I noticed that I was shooting a about 5 inches low at 20 meters and checked the bands, One band on each side had torn all the way except for about 1/16 inch still holding on. I shot until one broke in two in about 20 more shots (the one on the left in the picture). The other one was still attached as you can see in the picture. When shooting tapered bands (tubes or flats), I see no reason not to shoot them until they break as they normally break close to the pouch. Remember to always wear safety glasses. Oh yes and note the old antique clothes pins with the handles worn from being pinched so much that they are all worn down thin and sharp on the end.
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2625/shotoutbands.jpg
By herriman (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/herriman) at 2009-08-04

Jaybird
08-05-2009, 01:28 AM
I shoot one band per side.When thay start to break I'll shoot till thay are torn about half way and change them.My tapered bands always break at the pouch and fly forward.:)

Melchior
08-18-2009, 01:53 PM
For me, it depends where they start to rip - at the pouch side and I'll use them until they break, on the fork side and I replece them as soon as the crack starts to open. That way I can be sure not to get a band in the face.

luresalive
09-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Very interesting information there Bill.

gtavares
09-09-2009, 01:13 PM
My bands start breaking on the fork most of the time.And as Mel I replece them as soon as the crack starts to open.

Bill Herriman
09-09-2009, 04:39 PM
My bands start breaking on the fork most of the time.And as Mel I replece them as soon as the crack starts to open.

You must be shooting non tabered tubes or you tips are not smooth or tip configuration is not right. Bill

gtavares
09-09-2009, 06:00 PM
My fork have a lithe edge...in the others slingshots I havenīt this problem. :)

administrator
09-09-2009, 06:12 PM
gtavares

Would help to know what brand slingshot you're shooting: Trumark, Marksman, Crossman, "homemade" wooden type etc?

Also, not completely sure from your post whether you're shooting a tube slingshot or flatband non-tube model; sounds like a "tube" powered slingshot. "My fork have a lithe edge", sounds like you could be using the latter.

Hope I can be of some help here. Band breakage can be do to a lot of different reasons - not always that apparent.

Bill Stark

gtavares
09-09-2009, 07:23 PM
For sure ! :)

The model is a Daisy(here in Brazil we call Kantas), I was using tubbing bands(i donīt know the name of the manufacturer...) but the bands break always at the same place: near the fork and always in the right side and after on the left side...

But on my arrow slinger the bands has not broke yet(maybe because the attatchement are diferent)and on my flatband there is no signal of rip on both bands...

I believe that the problem are on my Daisyīs fork.The forks arenīt rouded like Trumarkīs fork, as I said there is a litle edge...

Bill Herriman
09-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Yep, you need the tips rounded. That can be done with a stone if you have nothing else. It will take awhile but the bands will last a whole lot longer. The tips of any slingshot (no matter how the bands are mounted) should be ultra smooth for long band life. When you shoot the bands will hit the tips or themselves near the tips, so the two points that bruise up and break are either at the tips or near the pouch. Bill

gtavares
09-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Thanks Bill !!! :D

When I have some time I will round the tips...

administrator
09-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Bill is right, you have to get those prong-ends really smooth, like glass. Also, you might want to try sealing the raw steel-ends with some type of sealer like paint to prevent rusting. Make sure the paint is good and dry before putting on the rubbers.

Trumark has the following link:
http://www.slingshots.com/html/aluminum-slingshots.html

Also, on slingshot maintenance:
http://www.slingshots.com/html/slingshot-maintenance.html

Hope this helps you isolate the reason(s) your bands are breaking...

Bill Stark

gtavares
09-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Joerg,

Thanks of the tip...you are absolutely right !!!

I will polish my fork when I have some time, I am a litle busy right now...but thanks for the tips !!