PDA

View Full Version : Most Powerful Slingshot?

slingshot1952
09-14-2007, 05:54 AM
I would like to purchase a slingshot which would allow me to hunt small game. What would you recommend that I buy for a good hunting slingshot? Is there a commercially-made slingshot available which has the right combination of power and accuracy? Also, is there a commercially made slingshot that is considered to be the most powerful? I've heard that the Saunders' Double Eagle is quite powerful (with double bands), but the replacement bands are pretty expensive. Thanks so much for your help.

Chris
09-14-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm shopping for the same thing right now. I own a Trumark S9 (two of them), 1965 Wham-O w/Bill's Flatbands, Oddwing Ash tube band (looks like a Wham-O). I'm going back and forth between a Saunders Falcon 2 and a Barnett Diablo for a heavy duty hunting slingshot. I like the ones I have already, as they will slip in my pocket. But I have been bitten by the bug and am looking for another one already. I like the look of both the Saunders Falcon 2 and the Barnett Diablo (although it is difficult to find a US dealer for Barnett). I'll be interested to see what the more experienced shooters will suggest.

Flatband
09-15-2007, 12:17 AM
For me,the Falcon 2 has always been a favorite. The tubes that come with it are very strong and need a heavy ammo. The pouch is another matter. It's vinyl and not a favorite for everyone. The frame is very strong and the handle very comfortable. The Barnett Diablo also has very powerful tubes and is built very well with a huge leather pouch. The fastest stock slingshot that I've tested is the Crosman Vortex at full extension. If your hunting you want a tube that will handle a heavy ammo.The Falcon,Diablo and also the Trumark heavy pull tubes will do the trick. Beware of tubes in cold weather.They really lose velocity.Hope it helps! Flatband:)

Chris
09-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Thanks Flatband! What is your thoughts on the Barnett Cobra? I can't find a US dealer for the Diablo, but there is a Cobra for a decent price. Is this the same power as the Diablo?

Flatband
09-15-2007, 01:43 AM
Hi Chris,I got my Diablo on E-bay and also have seen Cobras. I don't own a Cobra but it looks to me like a similar if not the same frame.Power would probably be the same.Looks like they both come with the heavy Barnett tubes and they are strong! Flatband:)

slingshot1952
09-17-2007, 03:59 AM
Chris and Flatband,

Thanks very much for your help. :)

MesquiteFork
09-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Guys,

If you are looking for a US Barnett dealer, try this website. I bought by Saunders Wrist Rocket Pro and Saunders Double Eagle Wrist Rocket. Both of these are extremely powerful slingshots which you should consider, especially when the Double Eagle has some of Bill Herriman's flatbands attached.

http://www.archeryexchange.com/products/novelty/slingshots/slingshots.shtml

MesquiteFork

Chris
09-17-2007, 07:01 PM
Thank you for the link and info.

slingshot1952
09-18-2007, 06:15 AM
Gentlemen,

Thanks very much for this information. However, I am not familiar with Bill Herriman. Please elaborate a bit. Thanks again.

Melchior
09-18-2007, 11:09 AM
The Trumark RR-2 bands are more powerful than the Barnett Bands.

The power of a slingshot (without fork extension" relies 99% on the bands, so the question "what's the most powerful slingshot?" cannot be answered. You can hang any band on any slingshot, equip a Diablo with RR-2 bands or a S9 with Barnett bands.

MesquiteFork
09-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Slingshot1952,

Bill makes flatbands very similar to the one on the Saunders Wrist Rocket Pro...minus the plastic pouch (plastic pouch = terrrible idea). He sells them with leather pouches and makes them available to the general public. From my experience, they definitely add a whole new dimension to the slingshots they are added to in terms of speed and power.

MesquiteFork

Kent Shepard
11-20-2007, 01:19 AM
The most powerful slingshot has to do more with how quickly it returns to it's orinigal length and how long the projectile stays in the pouch. How hard it is to pull back may not make it shoot hard. Some of the best bands were Weber Tackle's Tapered bands invented by Rodney Wolf. Many of the people shooting flat bands are tapering them. Bill Herriman, Gary Miller, Blue Skeen, and Jay Shotz make and shoot them. I don't make them but do shoot them. The RR1 bands from Trumark have always shot great for me. The bands Robert Blair uses on his Com Bow slingshots are great shooters also. please excuse my spelling. I can't find the spelling checker. Math teachers need that alot.

Douglas12982
07-20-2008, 09:46 PM
I used to own a weird compound slingshot that can shoot 170mph. I have really been trying to find another one. It has tapering bands that mounts on the handle. The bands come from the handle at the back of the wrist, and run through the two wheels attached to the arms. It is made of plastic, and it shapes to the contours of your forearm with a strap for arm support. I have been trying to search everywhere for one, (I have no idea what brand the slingshot is) so, if anybody can please help me with any information, it would be greatly appreciated.

MesquiteFork
07-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Marksman Laserhawk Stealth

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.blowgunsnw.com/wr4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.blowgunsnorthwest.com/wr4.htm&h=132&w=286&sz=7&hl=en&start=9&um=1&tbnid=gtk8Og84myor8M:&tbnh=53&tbnw=115&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmarksman%2Blaserhawk%26um%3D1%26hl%3D en%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

This the one?

I have 2 of these and like them very much.

MesquiteFork

Flatband
07-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Hey Doug, the slingshot is a Marksman Maxi or Max. It has the contoured plastic handle with the pulleys. They're no longer made but you can see one once and awhile on e-bay. Nice design and some good speeds possible. Flatband:)

Bugar
07-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Should be a real dandy, but too big for my style :)

Flatband
07-21-2008, 01:17 AM
Hi Doug,I was wrong,Mesquite got it right. I mentioned another Marksman product that had a huge extended fork"The Max". The Stealth is a very good pulley slingshot. Flatband:)

HuskerBug
01-01-2009, 12:04 PM
What kind of chronograph speeds can you get out of a slingshot. I've seen 200 fps thrown around some. Is that about the max you can get, or are there guys getting over that? What can you expect to shoot from your average commercial slingshot and some of your harder hitting ones?

Thanks!

Mark

chiefaj
01-01-2009, 06:04 PM
For a hunting slingshot is must be fast on target. That is why I developed the Quick Point or QP at 3 oz and has proven itself in the field on flying pheasnat. The QP will put a 45 cal lead ball clear through a flying pheasant as seen in ANYTHING WILD TV show. You can see it in the DVD copy a flying pheasnat gett smacked down to the grond like hit with a Wayne Grisky Slap Shot. Comes in Box Set with CD ROM on how to POWER SLINGSHOT SHOOTING. Copies of DVD on how this hunting load was developed in field are availble form the Nationa Slingshot Association web page http://www.chiefaj.com/slingshot_page.htm
and the QP.
One more thing the QP was NOT thought up by a desk jockey at a computer but by shooing thousands of balls, bb shot loads and rocks at still targets, rolling targets, flying targets and real small game. Next for the QP wil be a Turkey, do not try a Turkey with anything less than the QP. AJ

Flatband
01-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi Mark, a few of us on here have played with our Chronies trying to get big speeds. We've reached the high 300's and did break 400. That kind of speed for a slingshot is impractical as the bands last only a few shots. For some commercial slingshots available today, if you get around 200-250 it's good. It also depends on ammo weight. You want a good balance between speed and lasting ability. If you use up to 3/8" steel ammo then the Trumark RRT's would be good and would hit around 200 or so on a long draw. If heavier ammo(steel 3/8" and above) go with Trumarks RR2's or Saunders heavy's. For lead at that size Black Trumarks or heavy Barnetts. You can also cut flats of different type rubbers to match ammo size for optimum speed. It is a science in itself!:D Flatband:)

the patch
01-02-2009, 01:30 PM
if its a science then flatband is a slingshot scientist,its obvious you been studying speeds for a long time,thanks for the inseight,you even taught me something :D

SlingArt
01-02-2009, 02:31 PM
If heavier ammo(steel 3/8" and above) go with Trumarks RR2's or Saunders heavy's. For lead at that size Black Trumarks or heavy Barnetts.

dear flatband,

what's the 'fps' (feets per second) rating for RR2 black band and 3/8" steel ammo combo?

i would like to have a slingshot which can shoot at 300++fps... similar to shooting a 150~170lb draw-weight crossbow:D Any recommendation?

Flatband
01-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks Patch,I'm still learning every time I play with these things. Hi Sling,I think I messed up. The RR2's are amber colored right? I know that Trumark has a Black tube out-is that also an RR2? I thought the Black tubes were different and a heavier draw. Anyway, if I messed up with the colors-sorry.I have to catch up with the available tubes out there. A wild guess with regard to the 3/8" ammo and black tube, would be around 200-210 with a 30 inch draw and 80 degree outside temp. As far as 300 fps,when I did my testing I don't think I was able to get 300 out of a set of tubes. I think the best I got was around 260-270. I believe that was with a set of RRT's or a Blue Crosman tapered set and 5/16" steel ammo on a maxed out adjustable Vortex. You really don't want 300 fps or better or you'll be changing bands every 25-30 shots.:eek: If you must go for 300 then it's thin gauge Latex tapered flats.Good luck and be Careful!! Flatband:)

the patch
01-02-2009, 08:12 PM
RR-1 is the beige type color and are the weakest,then the RR-T is the red tapared,after that the RR-2 are the black heavy pull bands. (trumark brand bands)

Flatband
01-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Okay Patch,now I got it! Years ago the RR2's were an amber color. Heck all colors mess me up,I'm color blind!:D Flatband:)

SlingArt
01-03-2009, 12:37 AM
oh.. that means the fps that u could get is a subjective matter. it depends on the length of a person's arm. longer arm length is associated to people with larger body size. small sized person = shorter arm length = less power:p. My draw length (anchored at the cheek) is measured at 32".

i've seen some shooting style where the draw length goes beyond the rear of their head. i'm sure they are getting lots of fps from their rubber. these style usually found on instinctive shooters.

Flatband
01-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Hi Sling, there are a lot of variables associated with high FPS. Like you said;draw length also temperature,weight of ammo,size of ammo,pouch size and weight,attachment method on fork and on pouch ,fork width and very important,gauge of rubber and type. A thinner rubber will stretch more then a thicker one which is what you want for high speed. The long drawing technique you're talking about is popular in the Czech Republic and is called the "Albatross" style. They also use something similar down south USA called A "Flippers" draw. Both styles are difficult to master but great speeds are possible using that style. Flatband;)

Skimmer49
01-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Flatband, is that how Rufus Hussey shot? i like to watch that video and i noticed that he would draw to his ear or further sometimes and away from his head. it also amazes me how accurate he was with rocks. he didnt use any other form of ammo that i saw!

Flatband
01-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Yep,that was the way he did it! Bring the frame up from the waist and at the same time draw back till it's behind your head. The Czech guys and some of the Europeans really take this technique to excess. They stretch their arms as far as they can go like in a wingspread. They also use very thin bands so they get great stretch. Bill Herriman is on this forum and he knows how to shoot with that "Flipper"style. Me,I'll stick with the traditional way or I might shoot my ear off!:eek: Flatband:)

jburdine
01-05-2009, 12:02 PM
I like to call it the Japanese draw because it reminds me of watching Kyudo archers with their thumb rings, not because of watching any Japanese catapultists. When I was at my best and had been shooting everyday I got pretty good at hitting coke cans at about any distance up to 25 to 30 yards. But if you leave off a bit it takes a while to get back into it. It is easier to start with a consistent anchor point. You get good smack with that overdraw though and you really have to keep after your equipment. The bands tend to break at the pouch rather than at the point of attachment at the forks. On another note, the heavier the bands in pull, it seems that the real advantage is in the heavier the weight of the ammunition that you can shoot. Speed is not really the goal, but the energy delivered is better. It is a balance.

Skimmer49
01-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Yeah, i know what you mean Flatband! I tried it the 'Rufus' way a couple of times yesterday and thought i tore my ear off! no more for me thanks. i can see how you would get more power but i like to anchor to my jaw. its more consistent and i rarely hurt myself! :rolleyes:

SlingArt
01-05-2009, 02:54 PM
hahaha...:D that's what happened to me too

rem49
01-05-2009, 11:11 PM
I don't see how he hits anything. He is amazing. Does he ever show at any tournaments?

Kolar12
01-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Getting back to the picture of the Marksman Laserhawk; it appears to have a "knuckle" protector which would shield your hand from the pouch and bands after the shot. I have been envisioning something like this to attach to some of my sling shots, has anyone made something like this and attached it to a slingshot?

I know Bill Herrman mentioned something about the weight of the ammo causing knuckle slap, it seems no matter what weight ammo I use on my Trumarks or Wham-O's I get bitten by slap!

HuskerBug
01-07-2009, 07:30 PM
I don't see how he hits anything. He is amazing. Does he ever show at any tournaments?

He passed away, somebody said.

Mark

wilbanba
01-14-2009, 04:24 AM
do you know of a source for photos of that SS - the marksman maxi? ive looked and cant find any info, even in the completed auctions for ebay. thanks much.

edit: nevermind i found it thanks

jburdine
01-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Getting back to the picture of the Marksman Laserhawk; it appears to have a "knuckle" protector which would shield your hand from the pouch and bands after the shot. I have been envisioning something like this to attach to some of my sling shots, has anyone made something like this and attached it to a slingshot?

I know Bill Herrman mentioned something about the weight of the ammo causing knuckle slap, it seems no matter what weight ammo I use on my Trumarks or Wham-O's I get bitten by slap!

Are you using the bands with the plastic insert or have you tried the tapered ones that have no inser? Other wise you might try a pair of gloves and cut off the forefinger and thumb parts to make a custom protective gauntlet for slingshot shooting. That is what I am going to try.

bimmerz_vn
03-18-2009, 07:54 AM
How hard it is to pull back may not make it shoot hard. Some of the best bands were Weber Tackle's Tapered bands invented by Rodney Wolf. Many of the people shooting flat bands are tapering them. Bill Herriman, Gary Miller, Blue Skeen, and Jay Shotz make and shoot them. I don't make them but do shoot them. The RR1 bands from Trumark have always shot great for me. The bands Robert Blair uses on his Com Bow slingshots are great shooters also.

nailer
05-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Hello everyone!
This is my firs post here.
That Max or Maxi Marksman slingshot you are talking about was just like a regular slingshot with arm support but really forward yoke? I remember to have seen something like that many years ago, but donīt remember the name. In the box there was an adult drawed using the slingshot, that seemed to be very concentrated or pissed off. And I think he was wearing an afro too :cool: but I am not so sure.

If that is it, how good were them? Were they as extended forward as I remember them or a modern lasser hawk is just about the same?

I always regreted not to buy one when I could.

Bill Herriman
05-05-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't have a Stealth any more. I never liked it. Marksman did make another longer extended fork slingshot. Here is one from my collection. Is this the one you are thinking of. Bill
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/9476/marklong.jpg
By herriman (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/herriman) at 2009-05-05

nailer
05-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Great!
Thatīs it! Positive!
Thanks a lot for the photo.
Was it the Maxi, or what name did it have?
Was it more powerfull? I always thought that at least would be easier to aim with that yoke. How come they donīt make them any longer?

jburdine
05-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Great!
Thatīs it! Positive!
Thanks a lot for the photo.
Was it the Maxi, or what name did it have?
Was it more powerfull? I always thought that at least would be easier to aim with that yoke. How come they donīt make them any longer?
I think it was called the Maxima. I had one as well, but have no idea where it went. The closest you can get now is from Rythm and Blues, I found their contact on Melchior's site and ordered one from them. It is custom built from heavy aluminum stock. Fun to shoot, and the bands are huge, not sure I could get any standard bands to fit it.

Bill Herriman
05-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Tie flats on it with strips of latex. Bill

Murmeltier
05-31-2009, 01:11 AM
I googled "Marksman Maxima" once every three years for the last ten years and finally found something!

I had more than 4 of these when I was 11, and I still have two of them.

Unfortunately, I modified one of them for use as an egg launcher when I was a 16yo moron. I sawed through the forward-most weld to spread the prongs for use with a duct-tape egg pouch. It still seems to work quite well though.

I've been shooting these again with my son but we go through hoses pretty quickly. I really like the Trumark plastic pouch connectors. That just makes way more sense.

Two questions for you experts:

(1) does tapered hose really work better?

(2) where can I buy decent replacement hose?

Thanks!

Flatband
05-31-2009, 03:22 AM
Hi Mr. "M",
The old Marksman Maxima was something that's for sure. I reinforced mine with some really heavy duty duct tape and an extra steel rod on top of the 2 long ones going to the fork. That made it a lot more stable. I think the Trumark RRT's are your best bet. They are tapered and yes they are faster then straight tubes. I would be careful loading and drawing them on that monster because of the extra fork length. For the best deals on slingshots and accessories,you can't beat "Slingshots USA". Ray Priest sells most of the popular brands and a better guy you won't find. Be safe and have fun! Flatband:)

Murmeltier
06-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks for responding!

So it isn't practical to just get a bunch of tubing and cut it as needed? With the trumark white plastic dealies it's pretty easy to swap out, though as a kid I did figure out how to re-loop a tube end through the leather eye the way they come from the Marksman factory.

I should dig up a pic I have of myself at 11 with my Maxima. I was a pretty small kid; that thing was bigger than I was.

What do you mean when you say adding a rod made the ss more stable?

Thanks!

[EDIT] PS: would it be possible or advisable to rig flat bands to one of my Maximas?

Flatband
06-01-2009, 12:27 AM
On the two rods going to the fork,I added another length of rod on top of the two to make it more stable for a set of heavy flats that I wanted to put on(it's just a thing with me, everything has to feel right). I guess that answers both questions-added rod and can flats be installed. Try the Trumark tubes first before experimenting with either flats or custom tubing. They should do well on that frame. Flatband:)

Murmeltier
06-01-2009, 12:40 AM
OK, will do, but you've got me very curious with these flat bands. Is any thread better than another to get the lowdown on em?

Flatband
06-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Hi Mr. M,
many have written about flats,tubes,ovals,and even cubes (Square rubber). I don't know what thread has the most info but to put it in a nutshell:

Square rubber - ( once popular in Europe) will last the longest

Tubes - last well, many choices,easy to purchase,mediocre cold weather performance except for the thinner ones and the older and much harder to find gum rubber tubes

Oval solid - popular in indonesia but I don't know much about them at all

Flats- last the least of all band types-especially the thinner gauges,tough to find and purchase, easier draw,and depending on cut and gauge and rubber type,the fastest of all sling assemblies

Mr. M,
it's like anything,everyone has their favorites. Some people swear by tubes-others by flats and some real old time Europeans love their cubes. If you are curious about other rubber types-start experimenting. Be warned though,you could end up as slingshot crazy as me and a few others on here!:D Have fun and be safe!:) Flatband

annonymous
07-29-2009, 08:44 PM
I think that thera band,or similiar bands are the best solution for power.

twiant
09-21-2009, 03:35 AM
hello i was wonderin if this would be good enough for squirrel and birds
http://www.daisybb.com/shopping/customer/product.php?productid=16179&cat=251&page=1

gtavares
09-21-2009, 12:13 PM
hello i was wonderin if this would be good enough for squirrel and birds
http://www.daisybb.com/shopping/customer/product.php?productid=16179&cat=251&page=1

Well...I have one of this slingshot, that is a OK slingshot...the only problem is on the forks, they are not rounded...so they destroys the bands very quickly so you HAVE to round the prongs !!!

Why donīt you buy a Trumark ? Is a better choice...aks anybody here who have or has a Trumark(any model...)

Smitty
09-22-2009, 01:16 AM
Just thought I would add my two cents for whatever it's worth. The black RR-2 tubes from Trumark are really hard, (for me) to hold steady on a target. I have one slingshot with them on it to use for rabbits and such,but I have yet to hit one with them. They are stiff to pull back to anchor point. It makes me feel like they are going to snap, even when I know they won't. I've shot targets with them and my groups are terrible! They wear me out. From what I have experience with, the RR-T's are great, but from what I read, I want to try some flat bands. Soon, I hope to be able to buy some and shrink my target shooting groups. I think a person would have to work up to be able to pull stiffer bands, because without accuracy, all the power of any type of band is wasted. Like others have said, it isn't how hard they are to pull back, it's how fast they return to their original length.

twiant
09-27-2009, 07:15 PM
im not get the the daisy SS anymore. im getn the diablo ll

Gene Laird
11-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Just thought I would add my two cents for whatever it's worth. The black RR-2 tubes from Trumark are really hard, (for me) to hold steady on a target. I have one slingshot with them on it to use for rabbits and such,but I have yet to hit one with them. They are stiff to pull back to anchor point. It makes me feel like they are going to snap, even when I know they won't. I've shot targets with them and my groups are terrible! They wear me out. From what I have experience with, the RR-T's are great, but from what I read, I want to try some flat bands. Soon, I hope to be able to buy some and shrink my target shooting groups. I think a person would have to work up to be able to pull stiffer bands, because without accuracy, all the power of any type of band is wasted. Like others have said, it isn't how hard they are to pull back, it's how fast they return to their original length.

I've been looking for some input such as yours Bud, I just tryed my first
set of black hunters on my 3040 marksman and everything went crazy.
swapped back out with red tappers and shooting as usual.

Question I have is (for all reading ) the the plastic pouch holders
are going to be coming of next anybody tryed this with
these bands yet ??

Bill Herriman
11-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Bands must be tuned to each individual slingshot to shoot really well. Bill

jburdine
11-12-2009, 06:14 PM

The black bands are something you have to train up to. Depending on how you practice, start up with the tapered bands then shoot about 50 times or so with the black bands. You will find your strength and accuracy will improve. Besides the RR- t bands are fully capable of taking rabbit. They are fairly fast with .440 to .45 lead ball.

Bill Herriman
11-12-2009, 07:58 PM
All true and when I was testing over the Chrony, I found that some times Lighter bands will shoot faster than the heavy ones. On my videos on YouTube (slingshotbill) I am only shooting 13 pound pull bands shooting a 1/2 steel ball at 20 meters. Did you know that a 1/2 steel ball and a 7/16 lead ball are very close in weight. The steel ball is easier on the catch box when practicing and then the lead as the same trajectory when hunting. Bill

Christopher
11-16-2009, 04:46 PM
im not get the the daisy SS anymore. im getn the diablo ll

I got the diablo II and I really like certain aspects of it. Mainly the grip and forearm rest. The counter balances are nice too. But the fork is not of my liking.

My father gave me a Trumark Classic. I'm far more accurate with that design because of the forks.

If I could, I'd marshup the Trumark fork and band with the grip and forearm rest of the Diablo II I would.